Nutritious Anti-inflammatory Egg Muffins
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup your favorite mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 slices cooked turkey bacon, chopped (optional)*
- 8 large eggs, plus 4 egg whites from 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite unsweetened plant based milk)
- 1/4 cup shredded goat cheese, grated (optional, you can swap grated Parmesan cheese)
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Dash ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with unbleached muffin papers or use a silicone holder.
- In a medium pan drizzled with avocado oil, sauté the shallot over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the veggies and sauté until soft, 8-10 more minutes. Add a sprinkle of sea salt, pepper and turmeric to the pan while the veggies sauté.
- While the veggies cook, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, unsweetened plant based milk, grated cheese (if using), 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and a dash of black pepper until well combined into a uniform mixture, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the veggies from the heat and mix in the chopped turkey bacon if using.
- Spray the insides of the muffin papers with extra virgin olive oil or avocado spray for easy release. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of the veggie and turkey bacon mixture to each muffin spot. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies about 1/2 of the way up each cup.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes clean out of the middle of an egg cup. The egg muffins will rise in the oven, then sink a bit after taken out of the oven. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
*Note: This is my super simple way to cook Turkey Bacon with little to no mess! Place the turkey bacon on a cookie sheet and place in a COLD oven. Then turn the oven on bake at 400 degrees. Set the timer for 15 minutes and check. Add 2 minute increments if it needs a bit longer (depending upon how crispy you like it).